October 24, 2013 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Kellan Lyman, Kellan@labucketbrigade.org, (504) 484-3433
WHAT: The first annual Oil Industry Accident Awareness Month (OIAAM), comprised (so far) of nine events in eight Louisiana cities over 23 days, raises awareness about the frequency and preventability of Big Oil’s blunders and their malignant effects on communities. Watch our first video here! During November, OIAAM will feature events of all types while highlighting the great work of organizations holding the oil industry accountable. See the Facebook page here.
WHY: According to the oil industry’s own reports, oil refineries in Louisiana have an average of 6 accidents a week and the rigs in the Gulf have thousands of accidents every year. These accidents release harmful chemicals into surrounding communities and our environment. These chemicals include respiratory irritants and carcinogens. However, many of these accidents are preventable if companies would perform routine maintenance and make the necessary upgrades to protect their workers and neighbors. OIAAM channels Louisiana’s tradition of art to expose the Big Oil’s accident problem.
WHEN: Throughout the month of November
• "Possum Kingdom," a play, presented by Cripple Creek Theatre Company, inspired by the unfolding environmental ruination and societal crises in south Louisiana will run 10/18 through 11/10 and 11/23 in New Orleans (Each evening 11/1 to 11/3 will include an original spoken word piece and visual artwork in partnership with theDown By the River project) and 11/15-11/17 in Lockport.
• Down By the River Bike Tour explores environmental and African American history along River Road on 11/2 from 10AM to 3PM. Contact email@example.com for details.
• Refinery Accident Report & Video Release, examining Louisiana's refinery accidents in 2012, will be released by the Louisiana Bucket Brigade on 11/4 in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport.
• Oil Industry Photography Exhibit displays oil infrastructure and the industry's effects on communities taken by Jonathan Henderson of the Gulf Restoration Network. Opening reception will be on 11/5 at 7PM at the Bridge Lounge in New Orleans; photographs will be on display throughout the month.
• Yard Art Tour (YAT-3) will feature oil and pollution themed yard art displayed in the Bywater, Faubourg Marigny, and Central City as part of The New Orleans Fringe Festival November 20th through the 24th.